Who am I?
- Start as a writer
- 15 years
- Industry: television and movies
- SaskFilm: the industry boom
- Masters and the major industry change
- Selling scripts and stories
Teaching for me is a way to help others to not block, to write, be creative, and do what they enjoy.
My philosophy about this class
- I want you to succeed.
- Lines of communication are important.
- I'm here to help build your skills. I'm not worrying about your creativity.
- I believe you’re your own best teacher.
- Story is story is story.
- Formatting is only half the journey. The priority is learning the structure of story.
- Talent takes you only so far. You need to build skill.
- We get better through time, work, and practice — not just through theory and discussion.
- Try to focus on the practice of developing your skills, and less on the outcome.
- Writing blocks are just fear.
- Sharing and feedback is good.
- Having an opposing viewpoint with the instructor in discussion is good.